Monday, January 31, 2011

Belated Birthday

Since we didn't get to celebrate my Birthday on Saturday, we decided to have a belated Birthday celebration. After dropping Keree off at school, we braved the droves of people, who were also out trying to stock up for the incoming "Blizzard". We actually try to do our grocery shopping on Monday morning because there is no crowd and usually there are some great manager specials. Needless to say, my Mom and I tried to grab what we needed quickly, so we could get out of the craziness. Now, I was disappointed (ok, I really was crushed) because when I went to pick my Birthday cake out of the freezer, they didn't have my traditional Carvel Snicker Football cake. We decided after standing in the check-out line for almost an hour, that we would try one more store (actually it's where I have bought it every year since it became a tradition). I was so excited, they had 2 left in their freezer section. So, I grabbed it and again had to stand in a super long check-out line. Right as I was heading out, it started raining, freezing rain. Luckily, it was almost time to pick Keree up from school, so at least I wasn't having to pull her out early to beat the weather home. The summary at school said that they talked about families, how we are the same and different, read a book on snow and told us to check the tv for school closures. When we got home, we decided to move the computer into the bedroom, that way we could hunker down into two rooms, if the storm gets really bad. Keree spent her afternoon and evening writing, drawing and doing workbooks. For dinner tonight, I fixed broccoli cheddar soup. I wanted the ease of cooking, so it was from a powdered mix and honestly, I wasn't a fan of it. I guess, I'm starting to become a from-scratch snob. After dinner, it was onto dessert. I was so excited for my Snicker football ice cream cake. It started as a tradition 4 yrs ago, when I spotted it in a grocery store ad. We were really tight on money that year and I decided that all I wanted was that cake. I didn't think I was going to get it but at the last moment, my Mom surprised me with it. Since then, I look forward to my Birthday and Super Bowl. Because of course my cake is made in honor of the Super Bowl. Until you eat it, you just can't describe how amazing it is. It's funny because it's not only me who looks forward to it, so does my Mom and Keree. So, I savored every bite I took tonight of my Football Birthday cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment