Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Fat Tuesday

Today is Fat Tuesday, which means the day before Lent starts. As I was getting Keree dressed this morning, we were talking about what Mardi Gras is and means. Keree's response was it's about beads and masks. I had to laugh because I could see why she thought that. Keree of course had to have a special outfit for the last day of Mardi Gras. I had created this skirt almost 2 years ago and we just got around to finishing it. My Mom then whipped up the sweatshirt because it's hard to find a Mardi Gras-ish shirt. Now, when I came to pick Keree up from school, she was super excited to show me the picture she had drawn. What was funny is the story she told with it. The first two people are Keree and I, we are catching beads and then further back is my Mom holding a mask. She told my Mom that she's behind us because she's slow. Now Keree didn't wear her pettiskirt underneath her skirt at school but as soon as we got home, she had to put it on. She wanted her skirt to poof. We spent a little time outside taking pictures but we didn't stay outside for long because it was super cold. Once we headed inside, we ate a quick lunch before heading upstairs. Since I had a very ripe avocado, I decided to try my hand at making guacamole for the first time. Honestly, I couldn't believe how easy it was. I chopped up some tomatoes, onions and of course smashed up my avocado. Added a splash of lime juice and whola, it was so good. Keree even ate a little bit of it, which was progress since she's not a avocado fan yet. Our plan for the rest of the day was to spend a little time working and then get ready to head to the big city for the Mardi Gras parade. We were really hoping the storm would hold out to late but instead it showed up almost 3 hrs early. So with the rain being so heavy, plus it was super cold, there was no way we were heading out in it. Keree was disappointed but she was understanding. We had originally planned on having some authentic creole food but since we didn't head to the big city and I didn't have everything on hand for gumbo. We ended up having a boring dinner before heading to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment