Monday, May 24, 2010

Lessons 1 and 2

Well today we took the leap and I started Homeschooling. Right now we are only working on Phonics and Reading because the Math book I ordered, well they sent me the wrong one. Why did I choose to try homeschooling.....well my daughter has attended a wonderful pre-school for the last 1 1/2 years but she is far advanced then the other children her age. Her Teachers constantly comment about how far above age level she is and also when they test her she scores within a 1st/2nd grade age level. Most of the children in her class, still cannot write their names legibly, most of them also cannot identify letters or their sounds. All skills my daughter has mastered before she was 3 1/2. So basically she is already bored with school, she can read simple words already and has been working on sounding out words and writing them for the last 6 months. Which trust me, I'm not a parent who pushes her child to achieve, one day she literally just started sounding out words and writing them. So since she is on Summer break (couldn't afford the steep tuition for Summer camp at her current school), we decided to give this a try. The book I'm using claims that within 100 lessons your child will be reading at a 2nd grade level. So today we mastered Lessons 1 and 2. I'm not sure we will continue doing 2 lessons a day because she got antsy towards the end of the 2nd lesson. But I was following her lead, after we got done with Lesson 1, she asked "is that all we are doing today, I want to keep going". So that is why we finished Lesson 2. We are now off to enjoy the rest of our day...which means working on business stuff for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment